Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Party's Over...

The good times - they have rolled.  I am in mourning.  Today is March 9th - Ash Wednesday - also known as the beginning of a hellish 40 days.  Every year for the past 18 years, I have given up sweets for Lent.  Every year, it's the hardest thing I do all year.  You would think that it would get easier at some point - but you'd be wrong.  So.  I "laissez les bon temp rouler"-ed yesterday and begin sugar withdrawal today.

More importantly, this marks the "slow season" in baking for me.  I can't very well bake something sweet and give it away without tasting it first, can I?  That would be irresponsible.  You see my dilemma.  My mother-in-law swears by the "Sunday Cheat Day" theory to Lent - that is, that what ever you have given up for Lent, you are allowed to have on Sunday.  That really never made sense to me, but some Lenten seasons, that theory has really saved me from killing myself... or anyone else for that matter. 

So here I am - smack in the thick of things on Day One - sugar-free and suffering.  Pray for me, friends.

No comments: